This course has been developed in consultation with industry to ensure the core competence of existing and potential workers who operate in these environments. The qualification consists of four units, which cover the minimum requirements for safe working practices in hazardous locations. The course includes instruction on how to read hazardous area certification, labelling and documentation, and also informs candidates about the main protection concepts, categories and levels that are applied to certified Ex electrical equipment.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the knowledge and skills to meet the requirements highlighted in the IEC 60079 series of standards and the relevant national standards and directives. This qualification focuses on the minimum specifications identified in IEC60079:0, IEC60079:10.1, IEC60079:14 and IEC60079:17.
Who Should Attend
This qualification is suitable for practicing electrical or instrument operatives who are involved in installing, inspecting and maintaining certified Ex electrical equipment in locations where gases and vapours can potentially create a hazardous area.
Applicants should posses the assumed skills and knowledge as outlined in the competency standards as follows:
- Must have good standards of both written and verbal English.
- Possess Electrical/Instrumentation qualification from the vocation schools that enable us to determine the electrotechnical competency.
- Possess Employment certification (Clearly indicate the electrical/instrumentation work experience in the recent years).
- General principles, ignition properties and apparatus protection, sources of ignition
- Standards, certification and marking
- Flameproof Ex ‘d’ protection
- Type Ex ‘n’ protection
- Pressurisation Ex ‘p’ protection
- Intrinsic safety Ex ‘i’ protection
- Other methods of protection, Ex ‘o’, Ex ‘q’ and Ex ‘m’
- Combined (hybrid) methods of protection
- Installation and Wiring systems to IEC 60079-14
- Inspection and maintenance to IEC 60079-17
- Induction to competence validation testing
- Permit-to-work system and safe isolation
Course Duration (Days)
Assessment is undertaken using both practical assessments and an online examination that covers the four separate CompEx units.
- Ex01 – The preparation & installation of Ex ‘d’, ‘n’, ‘e’ and ‘p’ electrical equipment in explosive atmospheres
- Ex02 – The inspection and maintenance of Ex ‘d’, ‘n’, ‘e’ and ‘p’ electrical equipment in explosive atmospheres
- Ex03 – The preparation & installation of Ex ‘i’ equipment and systems in explosive atmospheres
- Ex04 – The inspection and maintenance of Ex ‘i’ equipment and systems in explosive atmospheres
Candidates are required to undertake 4 practical assessments
– Ex01 (3hrs 45 minutes)
– Ex02 (1hr 30minutes)
– Ex03 (3hours)
– Ex04 (1hr 15 minutes)
Candidates who are successful in both the theory and practical assessments will receive a CompEx Certificate in Core Competence.